Sunday 8 March 2009

New Toys


We're still a little more than a month from launch, but have apparently already overspent our "equipment" budget. Whatever. We have lots of new toys, so I'm okay with that.  

Among other things, we've got Therm-a-rest self-inflating air mattresses (pink! at least for me), lovely down sleeping bags that are like big blue duvets, and the aforementioned convertible trousers (we've both got them now, though mine are cooler because they cost more).  Also a flashlight that really does look fetching strapped to David's head, a possibly illegal quantity of broad-spectrum antibiotics, and a lovely new little netbook. It even lets us send and receive phone calls--you can leave us voicemail if we're busy catching the local buzkashi game in Uzbekistan.

My parents (who clearly know me well) bought me a Sony Reader for Christmas. This is possibly the most amazing thing ever for a girl who had to be forcibly prevented from reading, for example, cereal boxes, lest I forgot to eat. I can carry 160+ books with me in a little thing the size of a novel. Easily 9 months of reading. Even for me. It's so well designed that I occasionally forget it's not paper and try to turn the pages. Fantastic.

Younger brother is on his way from Heathrow at the moment, bringing much desired Eagle Creek Pack-it cubes--supposedly great for organizing a 9-month backpack. And Almay Non-Oily Eye Makeup Remover, because even people with strap-on flashlights need some luxuries.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering about the Sony Reader and whether it was any good or not. I really want to get a reader (either the Sony or the Amazon Kindle) but have been afraid to invest in one of them for fear of there not being enough a book selection available yet or that they weren't a close enough substitute for a real book. Would love to hear more about what you think about it.

P.S. This is Julie (Hay) Kimball, Gigi is my google identity. :)