Friday 13 March 2009

The Final Countdown Sort Of


Today being Friday the 13th, we're officially less than a month away from Leaving Day. The To-Do List remains daunting, and we still have to rent the flat out, but we're actualy pretty well in hand. David is sorting out the financial aspects (banking, access to money, mortgage payments, ugh). I'm trying to check off the more practical things, like deciding how many allergy pills one might need in Laos in August. 

This weekend's project is to create a detailed inventory of the flat's contents. Am tempted to throw things away rather than list them. Maybe I'm becoming an anti-consumerist hippie already! Or I'm just pretty lazy. 

And although it's a good while away, I've been thinking about where in my own country I'd like to go...having not lived there in more than 5 years, I think we're probably going to feel a bit touristy ourselves. I last drove across the country with my parents and grandparents circa 1982 for Uncle John's wedding in Tahoe. My main memory is of my grandfather telling me to pee quickly because the desert loos were built on quicksand--he was not a man with patience for small girls wanting to pee more than once a day. 

David is planning on Cleveland for a game, though Cleveland in December is not high on my own list. Definitely LA, maybe Vegas and New Orleans. I'm thinking Utah; when else will we get to see Salt Lake City? And no, the irony of a trip that includes both Georgia and Georgia is not lost on me.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am definitely oh so envious! Although, I don't know if, even when I was your age, that I would have had the courage to attempt this. Kudu's to you both!! I'll be following your adventure....you're now on my Yahoo page.