Friday 10 April 2009

The Pub Crawl

Last night, I was out on what is likely my last London pub crawl for some time. Made an appearance at some old favorites, found some new gems and finally visited a pub I've been hearing about for years. The evening started at The Jerusalem Tavern and the St Peter's IPA. It's a great little pub, but the problem is it is too little and I have never actually managed to grab a seat inside. From there it was off to two new pubs. First was a quirky pub, The Three Kings, that serves a nice pint of Deuchars. Shame to only discover it now, but glad to nonetheless. Then it was off to The Eagle. Don't go for the beer, their own-brand IPA was average at best, but do go for the steak sandwich... beautiful. With my belly full, it was off to The Lamb (another new pub) and another pint of Deuchars. Finally, closed the evening at The Princess Louise, a pub everyone should at least pop into just to see the wonderful interior.


But this post is not meant to be a review of London pubs, but instead a lament at leaving London. I just finished reading Greg Gutfeld's 'Lessons From the Land of Pork Scratchings: A Miserable Yank Finds Happiness in the UK'. It is not a well written book. I think I could have described the utter lack of customer service in the UK, the shit weekends away or the drinking culture that leads to some pretty shocking sights for the uninitiated in better detail. But, the book was still on point and being a generally miserable git myself, I do understand where he is coming from. Not knowing quite what the future holds for us after this little expedition, the book's closing sums up my feelings right now (even if we haven't quite left yet!):


I know why I'm sad... you really wish you were there. And I do. I just miss the that damn place, and wish that one day I'll be able to return. If it'll have me, of course.


So, cheers to London. I'll be back soon.

No comments: