Tuesday 15 September 2009

Prachuap Khiri Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!



13 September 2009


Leaving Bangkok behind us, we drove on down the skinny bit of Thailand to the beach town of Prachuap Khiri Khan, whose name is right up there with some of the other gems we've stayed in on this trip...I'm thinking Turda, I'm thinking Deckchair, I'm thinking Akcakoca. Jeti Ogusz, I'm looking at you.




Prachuap is a quiet place most of the time and mainly caters to Thais instead of Westerners, though the beaches north and south of town are apparently heaving at the weekends with locals. Famous for cotton fish that's sun dried, deep-fried (hi, Brett!), and served with spicy green mango salad. There's a KFC. There are internet places full of small boys hogging all the high speed connections. Racks of drying squid-cuttlefish thingeys along the sea front. A random Jesus boat--he is the Fisher of Men, after all. A mountain-top wat overrun with monkeys (ugh). And not a lot else.





Lovely clean and new hotel on the seafront, all the rooms looking over the water toward sunrise (or so I'm told...I don't get up for the sun--the lovely sunset I can attest to), and the strongest air con I've ever experienced. David actually turned it off in the night, because HE was cold. It's like Bizarro World or something. The hotel is called Sun Beach, which I kept hearing as 'Son of a Bitch,' as spoken by your average Alabama redneck. Lots of giggling to myself. No one else thought it was funny. Beautiful pool with jacuzzi-ish bit; didn't actually make the beach, as we rarely got farther than dinner-distance from said pool. Resting up on the sea, for our upcoming week of lounging on the beach.

Dinner at some place on the sea with Louise and Denis, served by the sweetest lady boy you ever saw, sad victim to her receding hairline; the tempura prawns were exceptional, though.


On our last night, Tim & Cheryl shopped their little hearts out and provided a beach-barbecue of some enormous mystery fish baked with limes, prawns the size of a fat guy's thumb, and  mussels. All local, all lovely. 


Some mis-spent time watching illegal movie downloads on the laptop...I really do know better, intellectual property and all that. But Star Trek isn't out yet and I say it's better to watch it without parts of the actor's heads than not at all. 



No comments: